Administrator's Greeting |
Residents and Visitors:
The Town continues progress on a number of projects that will both enhance our residents' quality-of-life and our visitors' experiences on the Island. A few of these projects include
1.) BEACH ACCESS PATHS - The Town continues progress improving beach access paths and trails as part of its Comprehensive Beach Access program. In the near future you may see efforts to eradicate invasive plant species identified by the Town's arbor consultant as being destructive to the native plants near beach path ends. Please look for signs when work commences.
Meanwhile, if you find a need for a handicapped friend or family member to access the beach, remember the Town has two (2) beach wheelchairs available for check-out at Town Hall (843-883-3198) on a first-come/first serve basis.
2.) TOWN HALL & POLICE DEPARTMENT - Town Hall and the Police Station continue in their temporary location at 2050-B or C Middle Street (trailers behind Fire Station). The Town anticipates announcing, in the near future, an architectural consulting firm that will begin work on design/construction specifications for new construction on the current Town campus (2050 Middle Street area). Additionally, the Town will publish a construction project timeline.
Summer is here and the Island is welcoming historically high numbers of day/beach visitors. Please be mindful of our rules and regulations, particularly on the beach:
- Please use caution in the ocean and obey no wading/swimming signs where marked. Sandbars are prohibited for your safety. Remember, swim at your own risk.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the beach and along all Town streets/sidewalks.
- All trash must be taken from the beach with you. We have receptacles roadside at each beach access path for your use.
- All dogs on the Island must have a Town permit. Contact Town Hall at (843) 883-3198 or click here for more information.
- Parking is a challenge during the summer, especially on weekends. Watch for signs regarding restricted parking.
- Our fine restaurants are located next to residences. We appreciate your consideration in returning quietly to your vehicles after visiting our Community Commercial District.
There are signs with this and more information along our beach access paths. Also, our Frequently Asked Questions website page should answer most of your questions. However, please feel free to contact Town Hall (843) 883-3198 if you have any concerns.