Administrator's Greeting |
Residents and Visitors:
The Town continues progress on a number of projects that will both enhance our residents' quality-of-life and our visitors' experiences on the Island. A few of these projects include
1.) TENNIS COURT/PLAYGROUND (CITADEL STREET) - Project involves two (2) tennis courts and playground improvements at the Citadel Street/Middle Street (around Station 17) site. Projected completion on/about August 11, 2015.
2.) TOWN HALL & POLICE DEPARTMENT - Town Hall and the Police Station continue in their temporary location at 2050-B or C Middle Street (trailers behind Fire Station) through construction of the permanent Town Hall/Police Station.
The first signs of construction for the new Town Hall/Police Station project are present. The new municipal building will be situated on the current municipal campus (2050 Middle Street), facing Middle Street between the current Fire Station and J. Marshall Stith Park (Click-Press Release). Construction fencing has been installed around the work-site with construction expected for approximately 12 months.
Parking: The parking lot adjacent to the J. Marshall Stith Park/Fire Station and Town Hall/Police Station is closed. Visitors may park in designated parking spaces along Middle Street or in the right-of-way along Station 20 1/2 and Gull Drive. Handicapped visitors should follow signs located on Station 20 1/2 Street that direct these visitors to the Town's available handicap parking.
Summer season is well underway and the Island hosts a very high numbers of day/beach visitors. Please be mindful of our rules and regulations, particularly on the beach:
- Please use caution in the ocean and obey no wading/swimming signs where marked. Sandbars are prohibited for your safety. Remember, swim at your own risk.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the beach and along all Town streets/sidewalks.
- All trash must be taken from the beach with you. We have receptacles roadside at each beach access path for your use.
- All dogs on the Island must have a Town permit. Contact Town Hall at (843) 883-3198 or click here for more information.
- Parking is a challenge during the summer, especially on weekends. Watch for signs regarding restricted parking.
- Our fine restaurants are located next to residences. We appreciate your consideration in returning quietly to your vehicles after visiting our Community Commercial District.
There are signs with this and more information along our beach access paths. Also, our Frequently Asked Questions website page should answer most of your questions. However, please feel free to contact Town Hall (843) 883-3198 if you have any concerns.